PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

DIY Prop Tutorial: The 3 Minute Bow Tie

senior pictures, Virginia Beach senior photographer, Chesapeake, VA family photographer

Okay, so here's the story behind this bow tie.  I had this fabulous stylized session planned for my son and his adorable little friend (also known as my best friend's daughter).  I wanted to give his outfit more of a vintage feel so I decided to add a bow tie.  The only problem is I live in Western Washington when the weather is super unpredictable. 

When all of a sudden tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and 60 degrees I was not entirely prepared.  I was throwing things together all day to beat the sun and catch that gorgeous backlighting.  (Luckily we made it because we haven't had a nice day since.  In fact, it snowed here today!!)  Anyways, as we were about to walk out the door I realized I still needed my bow tie!

So here's how I whipped out an adorable bow tie in about 3 minutes.

Supplies
- a sheet (or scrap) of felt in desired color
- scissors
- a hot glue gun
- a piece of bulky or extra-bulky weight yarn

Tutorial

Step 1: Cut a piece of felt approximately 1 1/2 by 4 1/2 inches.

Step 2: Fold the piece of felt in half lengthwise.  Put a small dab of glue down at the bottom of the fold.

Step 3: Fold both sides back down like so.  Secure them down with hot glue (careful not to burn yourself)!  This will then be the back of your bow tie.

Step 4: Cut a piece of bulky weight yarn about 20 inches long and glue the middle of it onto the middle of the back of your bow tie.  When you are tying onto your little one you will want to tie a very small bow, then trim the ends short so it can all be tucked under the collar.

That's it, you're done!  It's not something you would want to sell (lol, funny thought, I know) but it cost me less than $1 and it sure looked cute in my photo shoot, didn't it?!

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial, thanks for reading :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails