How do you know what body products are safe for you and your family?
My philosophy used to be “if they can sell it in the store then it must be safe.” I thought the government had agencies like the FDA to regulate cosmetics. Surely they wouldn’t put harmful chemicals in children’s products right? Wrong! Check out these facts via http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/myths-on-cosmetics-safety/:
• More than 500 products sold in the U.S. contain ingredients banned in cosmetics in Japan, Canada or the European Union.
• Nearly 100 products contain ingredients considered unsafe by the International Fragrance Association.
• A wide range of nanomaterials whose safety is in question may be common in personal care products.
• 22% of all personal care products may be contaminated with the cancer-causing impurity 1,4-dioxane, including many children’s products.
• 60% of sunscreens contain the potential hormone disruptor oxybenzone that readily penetrates the skin and contaminates the bodies of 97% of Americans.
• 61% of tested lipstick brands contain residues of lead.
Corporations have caught on to American’s concerns over cancer causing ingredients and it’s pretty easy to find products labeled natural or organic. However, if you look on the back of those products I’ll bet you will still find a list of scary sounding ingredients that you have never heard of. So how do you know which products are safe and which are not?
The Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep (http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/) is an amazing website with an easy to use cosmetic database. You can look up a product, an ingredient, search by company, or simply select a category and find the best product. The products are rated with an ingredient hazard score so you know just how safe it is. So I dare you to get up right now and go find something in your bathroom- baby wash, shower gel, shampoo, makeup, whatever, just go get something and look it up on there. Be sure to leave us a comment and tell us what product you were most surprised about!
Protect yourself and your family and just say NO to harmful ingredients in your body products! See you back in a couple of weeks with more on green living ☺
Paige @ The Crunchy Mamacita